Lines and wrinkles pose significant concern for many adults. We often talk about the frustration we feel about problems like frown lines, worry lines, and crow’s feet around the eyes. This is because these lines can make us look unfriendly or angry, not to mention older than we feel. The mouth is an area we don’t often hear about. However, when lines develop here, they have much the same effect as those that develop around the eyes. Here, we discuss the various lip lines we often see and how we help our patients correct them.
Common Types of Perioral Wrinkles
- Smile lines are a type of dynamic wrinkle. We normally see them when we laugh and smile, hence the name. However, over time, these lines can become permanent with increasing prominence.
- Marionette lines are the creases that start at the outer corners of the lower lip. They may start small but, over time, they extend toward the chin, making the mouth area look significantly saggy or unfriendly.
- Lipstick lines are the fine lines that develop all around the lips. They can even form within the lip body, creating a deflated look.
The cause of perioral wrinkles may be what you’d expect. It’s the same cause of many other facial wrinkles, a loss of collagen and elastin. After age 20, we lose about 1% of our natural collagen production each year. This happens even among those who consume collagen supplements. Lifestyle habits like smoking and conditions like dehydration and sun exposure exacerbate this natural age-related change.
Treatments that Rejuvenate the Mouth Area
Several treatments can be performed to achieve various goals. For some, the goal is to slow the onset of smile lines and other wrinkles. For others, it’s time to do something about creases that seem to deepen by the day. Some of the treatments we perform include:
- Chemical peels. A chemical peel hastens the exfoliation process so new skin cells form more quickly.
- Microneedling. This treatment works by stimulating collagen production. Collagen remodeling occurs over several months after each treatment. Treatments can be repeated every few months for maintenance.
- Subnovii Plasma Pen. Using innovative plasma technology, this treatment stimulates fibroblast cells to produce more collagen, elastin, and hyaluronic acid. The device was designed to achieve surgical-grade results without the surgery!
- Dermal fillers. Injections of hyaluronic acid can last several months. These products can be applied to fine lines, deep creases, and the body of the lip to smooth and plump.
Your mouth is as important as your eyes when it comes to setting the tone of your face. Call our NYC office at 212.288.0060 to schedule your rejuvenating treatment.